Few things have made my life easier the last 8+ weeks than the following 10 items... in no particular order. Most of these items are not particularly ground-breaking, but I thought I'd recommend them for anyone out there who is expecting.
[fun fact - this post took almost 2 weeks to write in numerous sittings while Carter was distracted! Sorry for the errors and ugly formatting]
[fun fact - this post took almost 2 weeks to write in numerous sittings while Carter was distracted! Sorry for the errors and ugly formatting]
We use the travel size which has a little velcro strap that we hook on his crib. This little device is used at bedtime for white noise - I'm a believer because Carter has been sleeping through the night with only 1 (occasionally 2) feedings since Week 3. And now he sleeps 9 hours a night with no breaks! And we are thankful for that every day.
This picture is only a portion of my swaddle collection. These are another part of Carter's nighttime routine. He sometimes flips out when he is swaddled at first, but it prevents him from startling himself awake at night by flailing his arms. I don't use it during the day and sometimes when he is napping he flails so hard it wakes him up and makes him cry, which is awful! He is almost getting too big for the Small/Medium size (7-14 lbs.) but we checked out the Large in Target and it was huge! He will just have to stretch these for a little longer.
While I'm not a fan of the Boppy nursing pillow, this little pillow is amazing. My stepsister bought me this and it is a must have. He can now roll out of it (will write about this Mom Scare at his 2 month update), so I have to be careful, but it's a great place to set him down. He takes most of his naps in this lounger and I will carry him from room to room in it.
4. Crib pads (any kind will work)
Back when Carter was wetting his bed (before we switched to Size 1 diapers), I'd have to clean him, change his diaper and clothes, and change his sheets almost every night... not fun. My Mom felt sorry for me and purchased these for us. They are waterproof yet don't crinkle and are soft enough for him to lay on. Now if he spits up at night I can just change this pad and I haven't had to change the sheets underneath in about a month (don't judge me).
5. Baby Bath (any kind will work)
I remember my Mom telling me that she used to bathe my sisters and me in the kitchen sink, so I assumed buying a baby bath was unnecessary. This tub was actually a hand-me-down from a friend, but it has been great for Carter's nighttime bath. He usually loves the bath now that he can be submerged in warm water. This one is nice because it has two cupholders for shampoo, water cups, wash rags, etc.
After a few long stretches of not breastfeeding one weekend, I started worrying about my supply, so I broke out my pump. I've been pumping 3 times per day (early morning, lunch time, and before bed) to build up a freezer supply and to protect my milk supply. Pumping was uncomfortable at first, but after the first month of initial nipple soreness, it doesn't bother me. The bags are pricey, but still cheaper than buying tons of bottles to store your milk. Also, the bags make it easy to keep track of freshness - I just take a Sharpie and write the date I pumped directly on the bag and then we toss the bags once we finish one (he gets one bottle at night). I don't usually pump directly into the bags, but have tried it and it works well with the adapter.
7. Onesies (any kind will work)
I thought I'd be one of those Moms that dresses her baby (and herself - but that's a story for another day) up in cute outfits every day. Well I'm not. Onesies for the win. Short-sleeved ones for the day and at long-sleeved ones for the night. We like the Carter's brand (of course!) but have tried Gerber and other brands as well.
When I first started pumping, I was frustrated with the fact that I'd have to clean my pump parts constantly. Once I learned that I could rinse them off and stick them in this sanitizer for 4 minutes, things got a lot easier. I still wash my bottles/parts in the dishwasher after a few days, but this saves time and kills any germs. We also use it for his pacifiers.
Watching Saturday morning 'toons!
This little rocker is great because it vibrates, so it is supposed to be calming. It also reclines to more of a bassinet for newborns. He likes to be sitting up a little more and I can tell he is getting better and better about holding his neck up instead of flopping to the side. It's super lightweight so I just drag this thing from room to room and he watches me cook, clean, take a shower, etc. I literally drag it with him still in it - he loves it... right? :)
(Image: Source)
Buy tons of these... we have like 10. They are thick and sturdy and better than the flimsy terrycloth ones. Yeah, buy them!
Love, Samantha


We STILL use that sleep sheep every night! Def one of our best baby items!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! i'm taking notes! :)
ReplyDelete