Friday, January 27, 2012

Sugar Buzzed 26-ish Week Update

Today I had my gestational diabetes screen.  We went to three different suites in the hospital before finding the correct one.  This time it wasn't my fault.  They'd given us old business cards with a previous address on them.  This is seriously becoming a habit!

Once we got to the lab, I was taken in for the initial blood draw, given the orange glucose drink (100g of sugar. 100!), and instructed to finish it in about 5 minutes.  I was going to take my allotted time but felt pressured with the nurses walking by and hurried through it in about 3 minutes.  They told us to come back in an hour and again in two hours.  Wait, what? I had no idea I was automatically signed up for the 3-hour screen instead of the regular 1-hour screen.  What the heck, doctor's office, thanks for letting a lady know that they'll be two additional hours late to work.  Anyways... I started feeling a little loopy about 5 minutes after the drink and had to sit down until the first hour was up.  At one point, I literally said "where am I? where is our office?" I was so out of it that I thought we were in a different lobby when we hadn't even moved.  

After the first hour passed, I felt immensely better.  After the second blood draw, we took a nice self-guided (aka trespassing) tour of The Birthplace.  It was nice to see the nursery, waiting area, and triage rooms.  After looking longingly at the Cafeteria menu, we came back to the lab.  Most of the remaining time was spent planning the meal I was going to demolish and then being devastated that breakfast would be over at McDonald's and I wouldn't be able to get my plain bagel and fruit parfait (the only two decent options that McD's offers).  After the final blood draw, we started back and ended up going to Hardee's as a little reminder of why I never eat fast food.

Overall, the test was far from enjoyable, but it wasn't completely horrible.  I'm just glad I made it through without getting sick.

Monday marks 26 Weeks so I figured I'd include an update here as well.  Everything is going wonderfully.  My belly seems to have had a growth spurt these last two weeks because my jackets are becoming difficult to zip.  My belly button is still in a weird flat stage.  My rings and shoes still fit, so I have no swelling, which is nice!  

I find myself daydreaming about our son more and more these days.  I think about what he will look like and that someday he will go to college and get married and have his own children.  I can't wait to see the man that he becomes and I hope he is just like his daddy.  My heart is very full.

~26 Weeks

2 comments:

  1. Awww my heart is melting at your last paragraph, love it! I always thought I wanted a girl but all my friends coincidentally are having boys and now I want a lil man...each is so different and is so special and of course no matter what it doesn't matter and what's important is to just have a healthy baby...but lately I've been thinking how amazing it'd be to have a son and imagine the kind of man he becomes and to be like his daddy :) <3

    You look so great and yay for 26 weeks!!! And yuck to that test - but nice to know you got it done and over with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shayla! I always wanted an older brother growing up, so I think having a son first will be fun, especially if we end up having a girl down the road. I can't wait to read about YOUR experiences (hopefully soon) :)

      Delete