Maternity + Fashion = Mashion
Okay, so maybe I made that up. But truly, maintaining some sort of maternity fashion is one of those small things that can make a pregnant girl feel good - or at least normal. I've tried on a lot of brands, and it hasn't been easy to find clothing that fits my petite frame. I use the term "petite" loosely since I am of petite measurements but not of petite stature (at 5'5", I am too "tall"). Nevertheless, I have found several items that work and work well. I'm sure these versatile items would be great in every size!
1. Sleep Bras. I understand that bras are not exactly "mashion", but I have to mention them. When the lady lumps won't stop growing, they need support ALL. THE. TIME. I used to sleep bra-less, but now I refuse to. The situation has just gotten out of control and these little over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders help. In my opinion, sleep bras are better than sports bras because they aren't constrictive and the thinner fabric allows for more "breathing room". I have these:
The fiance hates them, but they are comfortable, so get over it, man! I will say that I've almost outgrown them at ~23 weeks, so I'm eyeing these:

Motherhood Maternity: Wrap Nursing Sleep Bra (Image: Source)
2. Old Navy Maternity Jeans. I haven't been a fan of Old Navy in quite some time, but their maternity selection has changed my mind. Their jeggings/jeans are hands-down my favorite maternity pants. They look really polished with boots and equally cute with flats. The ones I bought definitely don't have the "mom-butt" look to them, which is a plus. I'd say if you're going into your second trimester, you might want to order a size up. My single complaint is that the belly panel gets a bit tight, but it can be easily folded down. In general, I've found that a belly panel does help keep maternity pants up. The pants with no belly seem to slide down much easier. Here is a pair of skinny jeans similar to what I've got in my closet:
Maternity Smooth-Panel Skinny Jeans (Image: Source)
3. Gap Maternity T-Shirts. I didn't think I'd have much need for casual-wear during my pregnancy, but I've discovered that regular cotton t-shirts have zero stretch-room. I thought I'd be able to wear most of my tops and be fine, but was sorely mistaken. I love throwing on one of these t-shirts with jeans or yoga pants on the weekends. They are comfortable but not frumpy and come in several great colors. If I could, I'd wear one of these every day, they're that great. I'm sure any from Gap Maternity will do, but these look particularly comfortable:
4. Motherhood Maternity Work Pants/Skirts. I work in a "Business Casual-to-Business Professional" office where my attire ranges from blouses/slacks to a full suit. I remember panicking about what I was going to wear to work back when I first found out I was pregnant. The pants and skirts come in a variety of neutral colors, which are perfect for the office. These pants aren't exactly sexy, but they get the job done. The backside goes up further than I am used to in order to accommodate the belly panel, but it's not visible with a top.
Secret Fit Belly Bi-Stretch Suiting Fit and Flare Maternity Pants (Image: Source)The skirts, I love. They hug curves in a sophisticated yet sexy way. I wear these when I want to feel confident.
5. Love21 Maternity (by Forever21) Clothing. I was shocked to discover that Forever21 has a maternity line. I have purchased several items so far (skinny jeans, active pants) - who can resist jeans for $9.99 buy-one-get-one-free? As always, quality is "you get what you pay for", and clothing runs small, but it's something to consider for those of us on a budget. One thing to be aware of is that the stock comes and goes quickly. Very quickly. So quickly that I can't even locate some of my past purchases to post the links! If you see something you like, don't wait, as it might not be there tomorrow. They don't always have a great selection, but just check back on their website here every so often.
Other Places to Shop: Liz Lange for Target Maternity, The Loft Maternity, H&M MAMA (haven't tried this one yet, but it's out there).
Don't forget that the most important thing to wear is CONFIDENCE. Confidence is sexier than any article of clothing. Even before I was pregnant, I thought all pregnant women were beautiful. Be confident and rock your baby bump!




Hey! I saw your comment and just wanted to let you know I responded. Also, if you're looking for cute nursing/maternity bras that are also comfy, try these: http://www.you-lingerie.com/ I love them! And though they're not too cheap, they're also not that expensive. Plus I figure that since they're cute, I would wear them as regular bras anyway to negate the costs.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Maria! (And thanks for the response on the cloth diapering question) I am definitely going to be checking those out. I also see myself wearing a few of my "maternity" items when I am no longer pregnant... some of the things are just too cute to pack away!
DeleteHi! Have you checked out Target's maternity line? I could never fit into their pants or skirts, but I liked their maternity scoop neck t-shirts. They carry them in XS. Another place I had some luck at was Sear's. Their maternity clothes were pretty cheap and I definitely didn't want to spend much on something I was only going to wear for a short period of time.
ReplyDeleteHi Francis! I have looked at the Target tops and love the casual ones so far. Who knew Sear's had a maternity section!? Thanks for the tip, we have a store here so I'll be checking that out!
Delete