Over the course of 7 months, I have been on several interviews (at least 15), applied to 50+ jobs, and met with 2 recruiters. I scoured job posting websites, both nationally and locally, stalked former coworkers for leads, and wallowed in my job search woes.
And then one day I got a phone call that brought a job offer.
And I cried.
Not tears of joy, but tears of sorrow.
Tears that I would soon be leaving my sweet baby boy after 5.5 months together. Tears that my former supervisor replaced me on maternity leave and that I was even in this predicament. Tears that I would experience a "first day" for the first time in 5 years. Tears that I might not be good enough or might not do a decent job. Tears that I might not be liked.
[and like any rational person, I ran to my computer to email two of my favorite working mommy bloggers and beg for help - Kelly from Mrs. in Training and Lindsay from Baby Mama Drama - therapy, I tell ya]
Then I remembered a quote that I read at some point that went a little like this:
"Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Guys, I'm scared. Terrified, even. But I'm jumping off the pity party bus and determined to kick ass at this new job. Never again will I stay 5 years (and who knows how much longer I would've stayed if I could!) at a job where I am unappreciated and treated poorly. Never again will I work somewhere that guilts me for taking a sick day or utilizing my maternity leave.
Best of all, I've worked with my new supervisor before and LOVED it. I will have my own office with blinds and a locking door (and plan to do a breastfeeding for working moms post later) and a boss that said "this is your office, you can do what you want". I will get HUMAN interaction with students and parents and coworkers and not stare at my computer screens all day long. While those are wonderful perks, the main reasons I went back to work are:
1. MONEY. My husband makes enough for us to survive, but I want to be able to purchase whatever Carter needs, worry free. I never want him to know what it's like to worry about money like I did growing up. I remember once my mom saying to me "I can either pay your dentist bill or Christmas this year, you decide." My Mom did the best she could as a single mother, but I don't want Carter to go through that if I can help it.
2. IDENTITY. I've always been a career woman with dreams of someday being a stay-at-home mom. I didn't get two finance degrees and a MBA for nothing. I am a work-a-holic and crave the satisfaction that work can give. I would love to be a SAHM if we have another child, but it's not in the cards right now. Being a SAHM is MUCH more difficult than any office job, so this just might be easier in some regards, and I'm not afraid to admit it.
Am I sad to be leaving Carter? YES. I am heartbroken. I love him with every ounce of my being. Am I excited for what the future has in store for him? YES. Stay tuned for Part II where I explain why I am putting my son in daycare.
Side note: This post might not even make sense, excuse me if that is the case. My posts are few and far between lately as I get into through this transition. Also, I have a screaming baby to tend to, so see ya next time!
Everything will be ok!! Glad that you got a job, just know that you will get to give Carter whatever he wants :) I don't want to get a job, but I know my man is stressed out paying all the bills on his own, but I think its good for us to be away from the little ones sometimes :) It's good for us!!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I agree, a break might be good. Worrying about money is so stressful, so I wish you luck with that also! :)
DeleteIt's going to be hard at first but it will get easier day by day. When I went back afteit leave it did get easier. I would have stayed if family were around to watch her (daycare/Nanny is so $$ here) best of luck and you know what's best for your family! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear it gets easier. Those first few days were terrible. I shed a lot of tears! Thanks so much for the support :)
DeleteThis post makes all the sense in the world. I know I've had ups and downs with being back at work, but I know it's really for the best. It feels good to get dressed up in the morning and have adult interaction. And feel accomplished during the day. And I treasure my moments with my son that much more! I cannot believe you lost your job during maternity leave...that is just awful! But I wish you all the best in this new adventure! I'm off to check out the other two blogs you mentioned, re: working moms! We need to stick together!! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm always happy to hear of other working moms because sometimes I feel so alone in this endeavor. You will LOVE the two ladies I linked to.
Delete