Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cornbread Cookies

Say what?

Cornbread + chocolate chip cookies?

Weird combination.

Surprisingly delicious combination.

One that was born when I decided I wanted to use up some of the leftover cornmeal I'd bought a week or two ago when I made cornbread.

Enjoy... maybe for breakfast even, just sayin'.


Chocolate Chip Cornbread Cookies
[Adapted from this recipe]


3/4 cup butter, softened (We buy Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread with EVOO)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. (Fun Fact: I know I'm a grown-up now because I preheat my oven - I used to just stick my food in there and add a few minutes to the time).

2.  Soften your butter in the microwave using 10 second intervals.

3. Mix all ingredients together until moist.

4. Drop by teaspoonful (or larger if you're like me) on a greased baking sheet.  I ended up with 12 cookies.

5. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


These cookies will only be slightly browned on the bottom and will be somewhat soft.  If you'd like a crunchier cookie, try leaving them in another 5 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I will have to try some different swaddle sacks!! I know i'm going to need one that is winter friendly because they all seme too cold with the arms hanging out.

    ReplyDelete