Monday, August 27, 2012

Having More Babies

I've gotten a few "so are you going to have another baby?" questions from friends/family, so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

There are definitely pros and cons to having just one child.  Let's start with the cons.


Cons:

-Carter wouldn't have siblings - this is HUGE to me.  My dad always told me that my sisters were going to be the best friends I'd ever have.  Of course, I ignored this along with all of his other advice, but it has proven to be so true. Friends come and go but family never strays.  My sisters and I still fight occasionally, but they are my blood and I want Carter to have that.  I'd love for him to have a little sister to protect.
-Someday in the future I will get baby fever.
-I wouldn't be able to watch my babies play and interact together.
-There would likely be less grandchildren.

...and that's all I've got.


Pros:

-We wouldn't have to buy an SUV since our dog, us, and the baby fit - it's a tight squeeze (I have to sit in the backseat while the dog rides up front...yeah), but it works.
-Not being poor We'd only have to contribute to one college fund.
-We would be able to stay in our 2-bedroom place.
-We wouldn't have to pay two arms and two legs for daycare (if/when I find a job)
-I wouldn't have to go through pregnancy again (don't hate me!)


In short, yes we want more... in a while.  My baby needs a sibling, but I want to enjoy our first baby for a while and soak up all of his redhead goodness before we decide to bring another one into the world.  My sisters and my husband's brothers are all 2 years apart from each other, so that (or even 3 years) seems perfect.  If we are blessed with another at that time (or really, anytime), we will be very lucky indeed.


3 comments:

  1. I get asked this all the time too. I say I will when she is sleeping through the night and maybe out of diapers! I have been going back and forth but am enjoying Mia for now. I do want her to have siblings and would be afraid she would hate us for not giving her one or two. Like you said if it happens we would be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think it's funny when people ask about future babies when your in the middle of raising a newborn. It's like ask me later when the baby is at least one. Lol. I think he would like a sibling. I know plenty of people who are only children and liked it, but I know in my experience with my first born, she was lonely. She's not lonely anymore with soon to be two sisters in less than 2 years but she spent 8 years as an only child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... love this post. You look fabulous preggers though! Since you're a fabulous mom you should totally have another. :)

    I'd love for you to stop by my blog to check out my interview with the fabulous ladies behind the Pretty Little Liars style. :)
    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete