Yep, it's painful. Yep, I've cried while feeding the baby many times - mainly in the very beginning. I had intense contractions while nursing for the first few days due to the uterus contracting back to its normal size. I did not expect this side effect! It has gotten much better since then, but I am still always at least a little sore. I am pretty dedicated to sticking with it, but it's been a trip. I've used my breastpump (Medela Pump In Style) which wasn't very pleasant, but it's something I will have to get used to once I go back to work. When Carter had his one week checkup, he'd already gained back his birth weight and an additional ounce - go me! By the way, any breastfeeding moms out there - this contraption is awesome! I can save at least 1/2 to a full ounce per feeding if I use it, and I can reduce the number of nursing pads I have to wash. Soaking wet nursing pads drive me CRAZY.
My scar is pretty large and is significantly raised above the skin. I had dissolvable stitches reinforced with steri strips. I was able to peel off the steri strips after about a week. I thought I'd escaped the lochia (blood, tissue from the uterus, and bacteria) since I didn't have a vaginal birth, but no way. I was bleeding for over 2 weeks. In the beginning, it was a lot... I mean a LOT... but tapered off after a week or two. The first time I got up from my hospital bed was not fun. My insides hurt and I hunched over to avoid stretching my incision for a few days, which ended up hurting my back. The nurses helped me get out of bed the first time to use the restroom and then my husband helped me every other time. I'll just say we bonded a lot and he saw things that probably scarred him for life... thanks, babe! He was in charge of changing the baby's diapers and I was in charge of nursing until I was able to get out of my hospital bed.
I didn't shower or go #2 for 2 days which was just awful. I also had extreme gas buildup in my stomach, I guess from air being trapped inside when I was cut open. They gave me pills to help, but it was quite painful. It's been about 2 weeks and I feel pretty much recovered, but the only activity I've done is a mile or two at a time walking with the stroller.
Weight:
I lost about 5 pounds a day for the first 5 days. and after that it slowly melted off. My swelling has gone down and I can wear my wedding rings again... woohoo! I gained 32 pounds while pregnant and still have about 5 left. I've heard that breastfeeding makes you hang onto a few extra pounds, so I'm not too worried. It looks like I've lost the weight everywhere but my belly. When I left the hospital, I still looked about 7 months pregnant, but now I just have a little pooch. Each day, my belly shrunk significantly, but now it seems to be staying the same. I've been surprised how nicely my belly has gone down, but it's going to take some work to tone back up. I look forward to getting back into the gym in about a month. In the meantime, I've been putting a firming lotion on my belly after I shower and hoping that helps.
All in all, recovery wasn't easy, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be considering I had major abdominal surgery. I'm excited to get my pre-pregnancy body back sometime soon!

Yes! I remember those painful contractions while bfing in the beginning. Ugh, but it was pretty cool feeling/seeing your stomach shrink. As one mom told me, "your nipples will soon be like leather and you won't feel a thing!" It's true! I am sorry you are in pain from your surgery. It seems like you are taking it all well! **Hugs**
ReplyDeleteHahaha I never thought I'd want my nipples to turn leathery, but that sounds good right about now! Thanks so much for reading :)
DeleteLove the candid disclosures...very helpful for a mama-to-be like me! So interested to see what the whole breastfeeding process will be like. I know it's important to be patient, but easier said than done, I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Feel FREE to email me if you have any questions, I'll give you an honest (and usually TMI) answer :)
DeleteThanks for being so honest in this post. I'm 22 weeks today and didn't realize or had heard any of these side effects. Its good to know what goes on after you give birth and how to prepare yourself for it--like this pain is normal and don't be alarmed.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for reading and congrats! You are more than welcome to email me with any questions you may have, also! :)
Delete